8th AACTA International Awards
The Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) has announced the nominees for the 8th AACTA International Awards.
A total of 17 films have received nominations this year, with A STAR IS BORN leading the way with five nominations, followed closely by VICE with four.
A STAR IS BORN and VICE compete alongside BLACKKKLANSMAN, BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY and ROMA for Best Film.
Nicole Kidman makes AACTA Awards history as the first actor to be nominated for AACTA International Awards in both Best Lead and Best Supporting Actor or Actress categories in the same year, for DESTROYER and BOY ERASED, respectively. The nominations follow Kidman’s Best Supporting Actress win at the domestic AACTA Awards in Sydney last week for BOY ERASED, which saw her become the first actress to win two consecutive Best Supporting Actress Awards (winning in 2017 for LION).
Also receiving nominations following their wins at the domestic AACTA Awards last week are Joel Edgerton (BOY ERASED) and Warwick Thornton (SWEET COUNTRY).
Fellow Australians also receiving nominations are: Hugh Jackman, Best Lead Actor for THE FRONT RUNNER; Toni Collette, Best Lead Actress for HEREDITARY; Margot Robbie, Best Supporting Actress for MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS; and Tony McNamara, Best Screenplay for THE FAVOURITE (nominated alongside Deborah Davis).
“The AACTA International Awards give Australian filmmakers the opportunity to participate in and add their uniquely Australian perspective to the global conversation of screen excellence,” said AFI | AACTA CEO Damian Trewhella. “This year’s nominees truly represent international filmmaking excellence, and we are very proud to see many of our talented Australian practitioners and performers among these nominees. I congratulate all our nominees and wish them every success during the upcoming awards season.”
Winners of the 8th AACTA International Awards will be announced in Los Angeles on Friday 4 January 2019 at an exclusive ceremony held at The Mondrian Hotel.
AACTA International Award for Best Film
- A STAR IS BORN
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
AACTA International Award for Best Direction
- A STAR IS BORN – Bradley Cooper
- BLACKKKLANSMAN – Spike Lee
- THE FAVOURITE – Yorgos Lanthimos
- ROMA – Alfonso Cuarón
- SWEET COUNTRY – Warwick Thornton
AACTA International Award for Best Screenplay
- A QUIET PLACE – John Krasinski, Scott Beck, Bryan Woods
- BLACKKKLANSMAN – Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, Spike Lee
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY – Anthony McCarten
- THE FAVOURITE – Tony McNamara, Deborah Davis
- ROMA – Alfonso Cuarón
AACTA International Award for Best Lead Actress
- Glenn Close – THE WIFE
- Olivia Colman – THE FAVOURITE
- Toni Collette – HEREDITARY
- Lady Gaga – A STAR IS BORN
- Nicole Kidman – DESTROYER
AACTA International Award for Best Lead Actor
- Christian Bale – VICE
- Bradley Cooper – A STAR IS BORN
- Hugh Jackman – THE FRONT RUNNER
- Rami Malek – BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
- Viggo Mortensen – GREEN BOOK
AACTA International Award for Best Supporting Actress
- Amy Adams – VICE
- Emily Blunt – A QUIET PLACE
- Claire Foy – FIRST MAN
- Nicole Kidman – BOY ERASED
- Margot Robbie – MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS
AACTA International Award for Best Supporting Actor
- Mahershala Ali – GREEN BOOK
- Timothée Chalamet – BEAUTIFUL BOY
- Joel Edgerton – BOY ERASED
- Sam Elliott – A STAR IS BORN
- Sam Rockwell – VICE
Film Review: The Toll
Director: Ryan Andrew Hooper Cast: Michael Smiley, Annes Elwy, Paul Kaye, Steve Oram,Read More
ITHAKA – WORLD PREMIERE – SYDNEY FILM FESTIVAL
As Julian Assange prepares to fight the US appeal in the UK’s high court onRead More